Let’s talk about those brows.
Welcome back to another installment of I Will Teach You Makeup.
If you missed the first post on makeup primer make sure you read that before you read this one (:
This post is going to be about brows and I decided to make this the second post for two reasons:
- There are a lot of people in the world who don’t understand why their brows are such a big part of their makeup look
- And there are even more people who have no idea how to shape, style or fill in their brows to compliment their makeup look
Long story short: If you don’t learn anything else on this blog, know this, your brows are the most important part of your makeup look. Period.
I know when you’re getting started with makeup it can be extremely daunting especially if you have no idea where to start and you don’t have anyone to learn from except YouTube but trust me learning about makeup doesn’t have to be hard.
So that’s why I created my free email course, Makeup for Beginners!
This course, in addition to being completely free, goes over the ins and outs of makeup all the way from the most basic information you need to know, like skin care and walks you through the process of finding the right products and how to apply them properly.
In the course I will each you:
- Proper skin care and why it’s important for making your makeup look good
- How to create a basic makeup kit for yourself
- The FUNdamentals of makeup and cosmetics
- Color correcting and proper use of concealer
- How to pick and apply your foundation
- Contour, highlight, blush and bronzer
- Eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara
- All about the eyebrows
Throughout the entire course I will guide you and help you get started with makeup and give you all the information you need to know to go from beauty beginner to makeup maven!
You can sign up for Makeup for Beginner using the sign up form below (:
Why should you fill in your brows?
Because your eyebrows are the most important part of your makeup look.
- Your eyebrows frame your eyes
- They add dimension and conformity to the rest of your face
- They make your forehead look smaller when they’re filled in correctly
Have you ever seen someone wearing a full face of makeup without their brows filled in or at least cleaned up, meaning trimmed and shaped?
It’s an off putting look.
It just looks like something is missing.
Unless you have naturally thick brows that don’t need any extra maintenance (those people are rare but they do exist) then you should be filling in your brows when you do your makeup.
Should you get your brows shaped?
I’m a little more lenient on this because I don’t have my eyebrows shaped.
I personally like the way my brows grow in naturally and I don’t want to have to continually get them shaped every few weeks.
I think it’s a waste of money and I’d rather put that money towards other things.
However, well shaped brows will up your makeup game so if it’s something you’re interested in then I say go for it.
What I do not recommend is trying to shape your brows yourself at home unless you are trained for it and know what you’re doing.
You can cause some serious brow damage if you dive in head first without knowing what you’re doing.
Here are some of my personal tips for handling your brows yourself and for getting them shaped:
Do it Yourself:
- Do not try to shape your brows! Just don’t do it.
- Clean up your brows by trimming them with eyebrow scissors if they grow long. You can do this by taking a spoolie or a toothbrush and brushing your brows upward and then just trimming them down.
- Stay away from tweezers. Excess tweezing can cause permanent damage to the hair follicles so unless you are a professional brow artist just put the tweezers down.
Going to a professional to get your brows shaped:
- Research brow artists in your area. Look at their rates, reviews and pictures of their work. If you don’t like what you see then keep looking.
- Do not go to a department store makeup counter to get your brows shaped. Unless that makeup artist is a brow specialist then keep it moving.
- Do not…I will repeat this because someone reading this post needs to hear it, do not wax your brows at home. You can cause serious damage to your brows and even the skin on your face if you don’t know what you’re doing
How to work with your brows natural shape?
I mentioned in the previous section that I don’t get my eyebrows shaped and that’s for two reasons:
- I don’t know how to shape my brows myself
- And I don’t trust other people with my eyebrows
So I just work with my natural shape and this is how I do it.
I make sure that I keep my brows trimmed.
I have very thick, long eyebrows and when I don’t trim them they grow out to the point they start to look like spider legs.
As you can probably imagine, this isn’t a good look.
So I just brush them upwards with a toothbrush and trim them down.
Then I just fill in my brows.
I don’t really do anything special I just follow and accentuate the shape my brows naturally have.
So let’s talk about filling your brows in…
How to fill in your brows?
There’s a lot of different methods and opinions on how to fill in your brows but I’m going to give the one that works best for me because I think it’s the best and the most simple way to do it.
Using brow gel or clear mascara set your brows the way you want them to be.
If you want them to lay flat or stick up then use the brow gel to set them in the shape that you want.
I like to do this first before adding any pomade or powder.
Fill in your sparse areas and accentuate your brow’s natural shape.
I have bald spots in my brows so I take a black eyeshadow and just dust it over those areas.
At this point you can accentuate your brow’s natural shape by finding your brow’s natural arch and extending it ever so slightly.
You don’t want to over do this and most times it isn’t even necessary but if you want, it’s an extra step you can take.
Add a light concealer or a light eyeshadow just underneath your eyebrow and this will give your eyebrows a nice lifted look.
And that’s really it.
You don’t have to do anything crazy or use a bunch of different products to get nice, polished looking eyebrows.
What’s the best eyebrow makeup?
The best eyebrow products are the ones that work best for you.
There are different types and some are easier to work with then others but I’ll talk about them here:
- Eyebrow Wax – Wax is great for really taming your brow hairs. I use this in the same way I would use brow gel, as a base for my powder product. However if you have naturally thick brows you can just use the wax to set your brows the way you like them and leave it at that!
- Brow Pomade – If you want a bolder looking brow then you’re going to want some brow pomade. The formulas distribute a lot more color and it gives your brow hairs some extra hold to keep them in place. I recommend using pomade if you have thinner brows because if your brows are naturally full you probably don’t need the extra coverage pomade provides.
- Brow Pencil – This is probably where most people start out and it works really well for people who have sparse areas in their brows. With pencils it’s easy to be heavy handed so you want to make sure you start off on your bald spots with short feathery strokes so your eyebrows have a more natural look.
- Eyebrow Gel – Gel is the best way to make your eyebrows look fluffier and fuller so if that’s your goal then I recommend using a brow gel in conjunction with a powder or pomade product. Gel is necessary if you have really unruly brows that don’t want to stay in place.
- Eyebrow Powder – Using powder will give your brows a softer look and powder usually makes your brows last longer which is why I use powder. Again you don’t want to be too heavy handed and I recommend starting with your thinner areas first.
I recommend trying out each of these products to figure out which one works best for you and your brows and then stick with that.
Personally I stick with brow gel and a little bit of powder and that works well for me.
What’s the best brow gel?
Everyone has their favorite products and what works best for them but I list a few that I’ve tried and enjoyed her for you:
- Glossier Boy Brow – This is pretty much an industry favorite. It gives hold but also adds color and fluff so it’s a great all in one product for beginners.
- NYX Professional Makeup Tinted Brow Mascara – This product is a little more cost efficient but still works really well since it gives hold and color. The shade range for this product is fantastic.
- Benefit Cosmetics Gimmie Brow Volumizing Fiber Gel – This product has amazing lasting powder, it literally lasts all day. The brush is pretty small so it’s great for giving definition to your brows.
What is the best eyebrow powder?
Again this is pretty much up for interpretation but I will list some of my favorite brow powders here:
- NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder – This is one of the best drugstore eyebrow powders I have used. It blends well and the pigmentation is amazing.
- Benefit Cosmetics Foolproof Brow Powder – It’s so easy to make your brows look full and fluffy with this powder and it lasts all day without fading your wiping off too much.
- Maybelline Brow Drama Pro Palette – What I love about this product is that it’s basically your one stop shop. It has the brow powder but it also has a brow wax so this is a great product for beginners at a great price point.
Is eyebrow pencil or powder better?
It really depends on what look you’re going for because they create different looks.
Pencil is great if you just want to fill in your sparse areas but you aren’t going for a soft or fluffy look.
If you just want to get your eyebrows on quick then pencil would be best for you.
Powder gives a more natural, soft look.
So if you don’t want you eyebrows to look like oyu did much to them then powder would be better for you.
Figure out how you want your brows to loo and then choose your products based off that.
What brow color should I use?
You should go for a shade that is pretty close to your brow’s natural color.
If you have brows that are naturally lighter, like blonde or light brown then oyu can probably go 1 or 2 shades darker and be okay.
This will allow you to give your brows some definition and make them a little bit bolder on your face.
You don’t want to go too dark because that would just look abnormal and weird.
Is brow gel bad for your eyebrows?
As long as you are properly removing your eyebrow gel at the end of the day, like you should be removing the rest of your makeup, brow gel should not be damaging to your brows.
What can I use instead of eyebrow gel?
A fantastic substitute for brow gel is clear mascara.
Personally I use the Maybelline Great Lash clear mascara as a brow gel and it works great for me.
What’s the best eyebrow pomade?
I don’t think there’s one product that works for everyone but I’ll list some here that I’ve tried and enjoyed:
- Colourpop Crème Brow Color Gel – What I love about this product is that it’s water resistant so it’s great if you’re going to a workout or going swimming.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills DIPBROW Pomeade – This is pretty much the industry standard for brow pomades so if you want the top of th eline product you can’t go wrong with this one.
- e.l.f. Lock On Liner & Brow Cream – This product glides on great and is easily blendable so it’s a great starter product for beginners.
Can you use eyeshadow or eyeliner for your brows?
Yes you can if you want to.
I personally prefer to use black eyeshadow for my eyebrows rather than black eyeshadow powder.
I just find that it lasts longer and is more accessible for me.
I don’t recommend using eyeliner for your eyebrows.
I’m not sure how you would pull that off and it seems really messy.
Well that’s it for this post!
Make sure you sign up for my Makeup for Beginners email course using the sign up form below!